On Monday night, I decided to go ahead and try my hand at making some creamy potatoes. I wasn’t so sure how the turn-out would be but I happened to love what I tasted. Of course, this recipe is vegan (and quite simple) so if you’re not sure what to make, start out with this.
- Small White Potatoes (About four or five), Cubed
- One-Quarter Eggplant, Cubed
- Half Cubanelle Pepper, Cubed
- One-Half cup Unsweetened Almond Milk (I used Almond Breeze)
- One-Quarter cup Water
- Paprika (to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- Garlic Powder (to taste)
- Vegan Mozzarella Cheese (I used Tofutti Vegan Slices about two but a handful of shredded mozzarella will do)
- One-half Tablespoon (or to taste) nutritional yeast
- Cornstarch (for thickness)
- Flour (for thickness)
What to Do
I started with a large saute pan, added a bit of olive oil and the almond milk along with the potatoes. When the potatoes were half-way cooked, I added the other vegetables, along with some water. During the cooking process, I did add flour and a cornstarch slurry to make the sauce thicker, or just thick enough to make the sauce creamy.
I added the nutritional yeast and the cheese when the vegetables were almost cooked through and then I added the seasoning last.
If you want to make your creamy potatoes more cheesy, you can add additional cheese. If you want to make it spicy, add pepper flakes or ground cayenne pepper.
I do hope you enjoy this dish just as much as I did.